|“||Like a motto! Like a famous quote. Like a line from a fortune cookie. Any saying or ground rule that can motivate you. Basically, a precept is anything that helps guide us when making decisions about really important things.||”|
Mr. Browne's Precepts are an important part of his class. Every month, there is a new precept, which the students have to write about at the end of the month. In addition to Mr. Browne's precepts, his students are given the chance to offer some of their own. After the school year ends, they can send him a postcard with a precept, which may be their own original one or from elsewhere, over the summer.
Mr. Browne's Precepts
- SEPTEMBER: When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind.
- OCTOBER: Your deeds are your monuments.
- NOVEMBER: Have no friends not equal to yourself.
- DECEMBER: Fortune favors the bold.
- JANUARY: No man is an island, entire of itself.
- FEBRUARY: It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.
- MARCH: Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much.
- APRIL: What is beautiful is good, and who is good will soon be beautiful.
- MAY: Do all the good you can, By all the means you can, In all the ways you can, In all the places you can, At all the times you can, To all the people you can, As long as you ever can.
- JUNE: Just follow the day and reach for the sun!
- CHARLOTTE CODY: It's not enough to be friendly. You have to be a friend.
- REID KINGSLEY: Save the oceans, save the world!
- TRISTAN FIEDLEHOLTZEN: If you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers!
- SAVANNA WITTENBERG: Flowers are great, but love is better.
- HENRY JOPLIN: Don't be friends with jerks.
- MAYA MARKOWITZ: All you need is love.
- AMOS CONTI: Don't try too hard to be cool. It always shows, and that's uncool.
- XIMENA CHIN: To thine own self be true.
- JULIAN ALBANS: Sometimes it's good to start over.
- SUMMER DAWSON: If you can get through middle school without hurting anyone's feelings, that's really cool beans.
- JACK WILL: Keep calm and carry on!
- AUGUST PULLMAN: Everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their life we all overcome the world.